Department of Odontology. Umea University. Umea – Sweden.
Marie Marklund, DDS, PhD works at the University Clinic in Umeå, Sweden. Her interest in snoring and sleep apnea started 36 yrs ago during a course in nitrous oxide sedation, when she got the idea to test an activator on her snoring husband. The treatment was very successful and became the start of a long collaboration with the Pulmonary Department at Umeå University with research about treatment effects, side-effects, cardiovascular effects and longer term outcomes of OAs. Marie Marklund has collaborated with Antwerp University Hospital, Belgium. She has lectured extensively over the world including many keynote lectures and published many articles about OA treatment for OSA, including book chapters and two Task Forces for the European Respiratory Society. She has been a board member of the European Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine and has worked in the program committee for the American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine. Marie Marklund is the recipient of the 2019 Lifetime Achievement Award from The Interdisciplinary Belgian Dental Surgery Sleep Medicine Academy, the 2018 Honorary Member Award and the 2008 Pierre Robin Award from the American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine, the 2014 Meier-Ewert Award from the Deutsche Gesellschaft Zahnärztliche Schlafmedizin, and the 2008 Traffic Award from the Swedish transport company, Bilfrakt.
- Subjective versus objective dental side effects from oral sleep apnea appliances. Sleep and Breathing, Springer 2020, Vol. 24 : 111-117. Marklund, Marie
- Update on oral appliance therapy. European Respiratory Review, NLM (Medline) 2019, Vol. 28, (153). Marklund, Marie; Braem, Marc J. A.; Verbraecken, Johan
- Nocturnal Blood Pressure Is Reduced by a Mandibular Advancement Device for Sleep Apnea in Women: Findings From Secondary Analyses of a Randomized Trial. Journal of the American Heart Association: Cardiovascular and Cerebrovascular Disease, American Heart Association Inc. 2018, Vol. 7, (13). Rietz, Helene; Franklin, Karl A.; Carlberg, Bo; et al.
- Update on Oral Appliance Therapy for OSA. Current Sleep Medicine Reports, Springer 2017, Vol. 3, (3) : 143-151. Marklund, Marie
- Changes in lower incisor irregularity during treatment with oral sleep apnea appliances. Sleep and Breathing, Springer 2017, Vol. 21, (3) : 607-613. Norrhem, Niclas; Nemeczek, Hans; Marklund, Marie
- The status of cephalometry in the prediction of non-CPAP treatment outcome in obstructive sleep apnea patients. Sleep Medicine Reviews, Vol. 27 : 56-73. Denolf, Petra L.; Vanderveken, Olivier M.; Marklund, Marie E.; et al.
- Long-term efficacy of an oral appliance in early treated patients with obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep and Breathing, Springer 2016, Vol. 20, (2) : 689-694. Marklund, Marie
- An oral appliance with or without elastic bands to control mouth opening during sleep-a randomized pilot study. Sleep and Breathing, Vol. 20, (3) : 929-938. Norrhem, Niclas; Marklund, Marie
- Oral Appliance Therapy in Patients With Daytime Sleepiness and Snoring or Mild to Moderate Sleep Apnea: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Internal Medicine, Vol. 175, (8) : 1278-1285. Marklund, Marie; Carlberg, Bo; Forsgren, Lars; et al.
- Treatment of elderly patients with snoring and obstructive sleep apnea using a mandibular advancement device. Sleep and Breathing, Springer 2015, Vol. 19, (1) : 403-405. Marklund, Marie; Franklin, Karl A.
- Mandibular tori size is related to obstructive sleep apnea and treatment success with an oral appliance. Sleep and Breathing, Springer Berlin/Heidelberg 2014, Vol. 18, (2) : 431-438. Palm, Emma; Franklin, Karl A; Marklund, Marie
- Oral Appliance Treatment for Obstructive Sleep Apnea: An Update. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine (JCSM), Vol. 10, (2) : 215-227. Sutherland, Kate; Vanderveken, Olivier M.; Tsuda, Hiroko; et al.
- Non-CPAP therapies in obstructive sleep apnoea: mandibular advancement device therapy. European Respiratory Journal, Vol. 39, (5) : 1241-1247. Marklund, Marie; Verbraecken, Johan; Randerath, Winfried
- Non-CPAP therapies in obstructive sleep apnoea. European Respiratory Journal, European Respiratory Society 2011, Vol. 37, (5) : 1000-1028. Randerath, W J; Verbraecken, J; Andreas, S; et al.
- An orthodontic oral appliance. Angle orthodontist, Vol. 80, (6) : 1116-1121. Marklund, Marie; Legrell, Per Erik
- Comparison of a custom-made and a thermoplastic oral appliance for the treatment of mild sleep apnea. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, New York: American Lung Association 2008, Vol. 178, (2) : 197-202. Vanderveken, Olivier M; Devolder, Annick; Marklund, Marie; et al.
- Alternatives of OSAHS treatment: selection of patients for upper airway surgery and oral appliances. European Respiratory Review, Vol. 16, (106) : 132-145. Boudewyns, A; Marklund, Marie; Hochban, W
- Physical findings in the upper airways related to obstructive sleep apnea in men and women. Acta Oto-Laryngologica, Vol. 127, (6) : 623-630. Dahlqvist, Johanna; Dahlqvist, Åke; Marklund, Marie; et al.
- Predictors of long-term orthodontic side effects from mandibular advancement devices in patients with snoring and obstructive sleep apnea. American Journal of Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics, Vol. 129, (2) : 214-21. Marklund, Marie
- Treatment of snoring and obstructive sleep apnea with mandibular repositioning appliances. Sleep Medicine Reviews, Vol. 8 : 443-457. Cistulli, Peter; Gotsopoulos, Helen; Marklund, Marie; et al.
- Mandibular Advancement Devices in 630 Men and Women With Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Snoring. Chest, Vol. 125, (4) : 1270-8. Marklund, Marie; Stenlund, Hans; Franklin, Karl